- First, we tell you what information about you we collect and how we collect it.
- Second, we tell you how we use or disclose that information, and how we protect it.
What information do we collect and how do we collect it?
Information that you submit.
When you fill out and submit a registration form, rental application form or a related form for one of our communities (whether through our website, in person, by phone or some other means), we collect the information included in that form (your name, social security number, phone number, date of birth, email address, etc.). It’s the same for other stuff you submit, like job applications, online rent payments, and service requests.
Website use information.
We collect information about how you use our website. Since the World Wide Web’s been around for a while now, you’re probably not the least bit surprised about that.
The kind of information we’re talking about may include:
- the number and frequency of visitors to each web page in our website
- the length of their stays
- the type of browser each visitor is using to view our website
- the type of operating system each visitor is using
- the domain name of each visitor’s Internet service provider
- the visitor’s IP address (the number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet, which our web servers use to identify where to send the information your computer requests)
- the address (or “URL”) of the website that the visitor came from before visiting our website
- which pages were visited on our website
- what was clicked on
A “cookie” is a small data file sent to your browser when you visit our website. The cookie is stored on your computer. Cookies automatically identify your web browser to our website whenever you visit it and may make navigating and using our website easier for you.
A “web beacon” is a small, often invisible, graphic element included in a web page or e-mail. It allows the party that set the web beacon to monitor and collect certain limited information about the viewer of the web page or e-mail message (such as the type of browser downloading the web beacon, the IP address of the computer that the web beacon is sent to and the time the web beacon was viewed, as well as the URL of the page the web beacon comes from). We may use web beacons for many purposes, such as to count visitors, or to monitor how visitors navigate our website, and we may include web beacons or similar technologies in e-mails in order to count how many e-mails (or particular articles, links, etc.) we sent were actually opened.
An “embedded script” is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with our website. It is temporarily downloaded onto your computer from our Web server or a third party we work with, is active only while you are connected to our website, and is deleted after you’re no longer connected to our website.
How do we use or disclose the information we collect?
- determine your eligibility to rent an apartment
- provide you with services or process transactions that you have requested
- communicate with you regarding information or offers that we believe will be of interest to you
- respond to your questions or other requests
- process any applications, payments or changes to your account information
- conduct user surveys
- contact you regarding a sweepstakes, contest or promotion in which you have participated
- fulfill other purposes disclosed at the time you provide personally identifiable information
We may also share your name and contact information with your future roommates when roommate pairing is completed so that you may reach out to them to plan for the dwelling.
We may use the information you provide to improve our website or our services, to customize your experience on our website, to serve you specific content, or for other business purposes.
We may disclose:
- non-personally identifiable information, such as web site use information or other aggregated user statistics, to third parties
- your personally identifiable information in any manner authorized by you
- any information we collect to our affiliates or subsidiaries for business purposes related to your tenancy or to process any application, request or inquiry
- any information we collect to third parties who perform services on our behalf, including, without limitation, third parties that send communications, process payments, analyze data, assist with utility billing or renters insurance, provide credit checks, resident screening, or collection services, provide marketing assistance, or create, host and/or provide customer service on our behalf
Unless we get your permission, we do not share your personally identifiable information with third parties for those third parties’ marketing purposes.
If you choose to enter a sweepstakes, contest or other promotion offered through our website, we may disclose your personally identifiable information to third parties in connection with the administration of the promotion, including, without limitation, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law, such as on a winners list.
We post on our web site testimonials that may contain personally identifiable information. We will obtain your permission before posting your name along with a testimonial you submit. If you want your testimonial removed please contact us at email@example.com.
We maintain commercially reasonable safeguards to maintain the security and privacy of personally identifiable information that you provide to us, including disposing of records that contain personally identifiable information by shredding, erasing, or otherwise destroying physical or electronic media in a manner that would reasonably be expected to prevent it from being read or reconstructed. We can’t guarantee the security of any data submitted over the Internet. However, after your information reaches us, we store it on servers (or in the case of information received from you in person, in writing or over the phone, in physical storage areas) protected by procedures and technology designed to block reasonably foreseeable intrusions by unauthorized third parties.
Other things you should know.
If you don’t want our cookies, you don’t have to have them. You can set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our website. But if you block our cookies, our website isn’t going to work well for you. We’re not trying to be mean. It’s just how the technology works.
You can also opt-out of getting emails from us. Just follow the unsubscribe/opt-out instructions contained in our emails. Of course, you may miss out on news that we’d like to share with you, but that’s your call.
Updating your information
If you think we’ve got your information wrong, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may follow up with you to make sure that we’re making the right changes.
Third party content
Some of the stuff on our website may be served by a third party. These third parties may drop their own cookies and/or use web beacons or embedded scripts, which may be used to identify some of your preferences or to recognize you if you have previously had contact with those third parties. We do not control the use of such technology by third parties, the information they collect, or how they use such information.
Links to other websites and social media widgets
Our website includes social media features, such as the Facebook, Twitter and Instagram buttons. We don’t host those features, but we’re pretty sure that Facebook and the other guys collect data from you when you click on their buttons. For example, they may collect your IP address and which page you are visiting on our website. They may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. You should check out their privacy policies to find out more about what information they collect and what they do with it.
Kids are great, but our website isn’t the right place for them. We don’t knowingly direct our web site to children younger than age thirteen (13). We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen (13) on our website and we will delete any information later determined to be from a person younger than age thirteen (13).
Information for California Consumers